MeridianMomTourage

Where local moms share, learn and grow together.

Banana-Nut Bread

Hazlet resident Dawn Ceccarelli lost 100 pounds six years ago — and has kept it off. How does she do it? One of her tricks is taking classic dishes and making them healthier. Here, she shares her redesigned recipe for banana-nut bread. Turn to page 30 to read the full story of her successful weight loss.

Ingredients

1½ cups white whole wheat flour

½ cup regular white flour

1½ tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. salt

4 overripe bananas

¾ cup Splenda

1 cup (8 oz.) unsweetened applesauce

2/3 cup egg substitute

1 tsp. vanilla extract

½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. Mash two bananas with a fork in a small bowl so that they still have a bit of texture. With an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, whip remaining bananas and Splenda together for three minutes, until a light and fluffy banana cream forms. Add the applesauce, egg substitute, and vanilla. Beat well and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Fold in the nuts and the mashed bananas with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Give the pan a good tap on the counter to get any air bubbles out.

Bake for about one hour and 15 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. 

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My family loves banana bread. I can't wait to try this recipe!

Thanks for sharing this healthy version of a favorite treat of mine!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Flu Resource Center

Latest Activity

Caitlyn Royce posted a discussion
Feb 14
Heena Sood posted a discussion
Jun 5, 2018
Heena Sood posted a status
"Hello, I am a new Mommy. My daughter is 3mos and we are looking for mommy & me classes near Holmdel and surrounding areas. Any recs?"
Jun 5, 2018
Profile IconKimberly and Terri Hershkowitz joined MeridianMomTourage
Apr 11, 2018

© 2019   Created by Hackensack Meridian Health.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service